Monday, September 28, 2009

Race in the Hagwon

Please click on this picture to make it larger so you can see the details.  This was in my kids' workbook.  It's pretty apparent to me that this cartoon man looks very much like a characature of African descent. It might of been okay if the book said, "the black person has a big thorn/thumb," but it asks the children to recognize this image as a thief!  Shocking to me, but the heterogeneous nature of my home country has influenced my thinking.  The ethnic makeup of South Korea is (claimed to be) 100% Korean.

3 comments:

  1. a cultural sensitivity course would be beneficial to both the administrators as well as children what do you think.....I realize prejudices are alive and flourishing everywhere, BUT let's not condone/promote........???????

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect blog title , nessa....where are you of late ? Busy , I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's kinda crazy, but I can't say I am real suprised. I think its really more of ignorance versus just plain ole' racism or prejudice. Still not a good look on their part. But stuff like that still happens in the United States, maybe not in school materials though hehe.

    ReplyDelete