Saturday, August 29, 2009

Koreans Love English

Koreans really love the English language. I know this because I see English everywhere: used in product names, company slogans, three English channels on basic cable (more on premium, I would assume), on stationary, and most widely on people's clothes. I met a guy who was visiting Korea--from the US--and all he wanted to find for someone back home was a shirt with some Korean writing on it. He couldn't find anything in the mall, but finally came upon what looked like a school uniform store. He stepped inside to the screech from the woman behind the counter to get out. English may be ubiquitous, but it correct grammar is only sometimes used.

I saw a man working at an outdoor display of cell phones, and the back of his shirt said, "Cover yoor fase before I fomit." That was really wonderful. I also saw a shirt at the outlet mall (Newcore Outlets at Sanbon Station) with some birds, saying, "Bird Need Safe" and something below it using the word "endangered," so the designer still asserted their message.

With English everywhere, I'd assume more people who be able to communicate with me. But in the words of a friend, "Don't assume: accept." Wise, I think. The prevalence of English may be because of Korea's interested in or desire to be more Western-like. There are English schools on every corner, but even so, I need to remember that I'm not in the US, and I can't expect to talk like I'm in the US. P.S. Korean night clubs are wild.

4 comments:

  1. sofa surface appears like skin under a microscope uffda !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. from the natives shrieking get out on several occasions, per your photo comments, I wonder if anti-americanism persists there...????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, corn ice cream ?? tried it? And like when did you start eating seafood...that yummy lunch spritz, as you said...... riding bicycle yet ?? choshim ha shipshiyo nessa

    ReplyDelete