Thursday, April 1, 2010

Kinda Miffed

So I just bought a new camera--sweet, right?--but everytime I take it out at school the kids try to cover their faces and run away like I'm some kind of child-molesting freak.  Today I had this great shot of three boys sitting in front of the plasma watching Cartoon Disney, eating the stinkiest dried squid tentacle snack, just dazing out, but as soon as I stopped in front of them they flipped out as if I was trying to murder them.  It's not just that "most Korean students are very shy," as my coworker Katie says, because tons of my friends have really great pictures of their students posing, doing the cheesy two-finger pose, huge smiles on their faces.  Maybe my kids think I'm creepy or mean and they're trying to punish me, unconsciously, of course.

Will I remember them if I don't have their pictures?  Will they remember me?  It makes me feel good to imagine my future with Korea in my distant past and still have some physical evidence that I existed in another country.  Some tangible proof that I helped some kids make it to adulthood.  *huff*

No comments:

Post a Comment