Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Woohoo!  I think I know the weird ways of the blogger now.  I need to type in a space that is not a box for text and after a few minutes, it appears in a non-active box below in HTML.  Whatever.

So I started really putting the gym membership I bought two weeks ago to good use.  I worked out on Monday and now again today.  Woke up bright and early at 9, which was a killer for me because I usually naturally wake at about 11.  But I got out, I started my day, and it has been amazing already.  Jeon, my neighbor, gave me some tips about exercising, and I took them because he's pretty buff.  He said to do a circuit--which I had heard good things about before--but include cardio as part of it.  I start out by stretching and doing some crunches.  The elliptical machines are really horribly non-ergometric, so next I do the treadmill for 10 minutes, all the leg machines, three sets each, then 10 more minutes of cardio, all the arm machines, and wind up with the ab machines.

This gym is really funny.  First, it's called "Gold's Gym," but it's not the Gold's many people in the states know.  I think it's just a high-class name they stuck on to get people to come.  Most of the machines are either outdated or the padding is wearing down to where some of them kind of hurt.  The second thing is that I am always the youngest person in the gym by a long shot except for the trainers.  Old people (1) galore. And usually they aren't working very hard.  They stand around and b.s. more than they do anything else.  I've seen a guy benching 100 kilos (=220 lbs.) and he still had a gut.  He was about 5'3", too.  I get a huge kick out of every day is that they have two REGULARLY USED fanny-jiggler machines.  You know, with the belt that should vibrate your fat away?  But these ajummas and ajoshis (1) use it on everything: the butt, the waist, the legs, the calves, the arms, the back.  Maybe they use it more like a massage than anything else.  Could be.  When I enter each morning, I grab a pink shirt (that means, "I'm a girl") and a shorts from the pink and blue gym clothes rack.  When I'm done, I take them off, and they wash them for me.  How wonderful is that?

I'm turning over a new leaf in my Korean life.  I was beginning to miss working out, and I'm glad I'm back on track.

1) Ajumma = woman over forty, ajoshi = man over forty.

5 comments:

  1. apparently, USA's "gold Gyms" do not have international name ownership or else huge fees could be levied for brand name infringement......contact "Gold's Gym " here for big "informant " money !!!!heheho. I am guessing that those "big" guys , bellies and all, are caucasians because it is hard to find an overweight ,native korean, I would think....considering their healthy food habits and that candy not so much .... what would happen if you elected to chance wearing the BLUE gym uniform....your prefered color for serenity purposes, let's say......!!!!!! and, is one sure , for positive, that the used gym clothes are actually washed after every use ??? yikes. so why can't one bring their own attire....myself, I do not like that requirement......................you???? As you prob know, those vibrating belts are proven to be worthless, except, as you say, maybe they just enjoy it !!!!!!crazy.....ajummas/ajoshis(translation is Like fools...dummy-heads... ?????) why do I so detest the ab machines, which explains why my abs are my biggest prob area.....in hollywood, the plastic surgeons are slicing off excess abs AND then using the stem cells/fluids to rejuvenate old ladies complexions and looks very promising and best tx yet, according to 60 mins tv report......so what does a thin lady do if she wants that facial procedure .....she can pay for my excess ab tissue and we'll both be happy !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Korean gyms are one of my favorite things. I used to go to one with pictures of Arnold pasted all over the walls.

    I love seeing the looks on the faces of the people who just stand around when I get all gross and sweaty. They think I'm some kind of freak! And I'm pretty sure they really think those jiggling belts make them lose weight.

    ha ha, great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pointing out that I didn't translate. I meant to, and I've modified the post so it does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks vanessa for translation.... ........sincerely, Jodie, an ajummae.....so excited for your upcoming trip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vanessa,
    I'm glad that you are getting out earlier in the day. Sleeping in is such a waste of time. I know that you will feel better. I am going to start at Curves soon.

    ReplyDelete