Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I feel welcome already . . .

The agency I'm working through is Teach ESL Korea (www.teacheslkorea.com). For anyone whose been to the website, you know how inviting and friendly it looks. Much of the language is focused on the happiness, income, and benefits of the jobs for the teacher. THAT'S ME. In my application to JET, it was much different. The hiring process was a mysteriously dark and unkown world with more than a half year of waiting and wondering what our fates would be. The income is publicized no where, and was only found out through rumors from other applicants at the interview in Chicago. I feel like Korea is beckoning for me. They have a spot for me, WAITING! I cannot say the same about Whitewater. I have lost count of the times someone has asked me at the middle school, having worked with them for months, "so is your student teaching done after this semester?" Or, "What class at the university are you volunteering here for?" There is no place for someone who is young and who has finished college in Whitewater. It's as if people don't quite hear me when I say I don't attend the university. Let me belong Korea! Let me belong!



No comments:

Post a Comment